If you’re looking for a low-maintenance yet ultra-chic protective style for your natural curl type, look no further than the two-strand twist.
For the first-timers, two-strand twist hairstyles might seem tricky to master. But there’s no need to stress—this look is as simple to style as it is to maintain. Keep reading for step-by-step instructions on how to do two-strand twists & tips for achieving the perfect twist every time.
What Are Two-Strand Twists?
The two-strand twist hairstyle provides an opportunity to showcase a unique style while protecting your locks. Two-strand twist styles are created by dividing the hair into smaller sections & carefully twisting one piece of hair around another—hence the name two-strand twist. The end result is a beautiful, effortlessly cool style that you can sport for at least a few weeks & works with any hair texture, from curly to coily to tight textured.
Even better than their look are the serious hair health benefits that two-strand twists can deliver:
- Two-strand twists are a type of protective style—a styling method designed to prevent your hair’s delicate ends from being exposed to excess friction or tugging. The two-strand twist hairstyle has become a go-to protective hairstyle that promotes healthy hair growth & minimizes breakage. By keeping your ends stress-free, you can avoid natural hair breakage & help your natural pattern thrive.
- Twisting your hair helps to lock in the moisture your strands & scalp crave, so you can easily treat your tresses to the concentrated nourishment they need to thrive.
- Two-strand twists are a low-manipulation hairstyle, which means they require little tension or tugging on the scalp.
Ready to build this healthy & heavenly look on your own? Let’s get into how to do two-strand twists.
Step 1: Prep Your Hair
Your two-strand twists need to start with an excellent foundation, so don't skip out on the essential scalp & hair care essentials. After thoroughly washing your hair in the shower, nourish your locks with PATTERN’s Leave-In Conditioner. Packed full of ingredients like Sweet Almond Oil, Shea Butter & Honey, this deeply moisturizing product will leave your hair feeling soft & tangle-free.
Next, seal in moisture & avoid a dry, itchy scalp with our Jojoba Oil Blend or Argan Oil Blend. Oils like these keep your hair elastic & smooth without weighing down your strands or leaving behind a greasy residue. Our bonus tip? Turn this part of the process into a mini self-care moment by gently massaging the oil into your scalp & along your temples, being careful not to rush or apply too much pressure.
Finish your styling prep by gently blow drying your natural hair. We love the PATTERN Blow Dryer for times like these because it’s specially designed for natural hair. Skip the heat damage from traditional blow dryers & go straight to gorgeous by using the Diffuser Attachment to achieve volume & definition in a process that mimics natural hair drying.
Step 2: Section Your Hair
The next step is dividing your hair into workable sections. This might seem like an easy step to speed through, but it’s important to take your time—proper sectioning ensures even & long-lasting results.
Here’s how to achieve perfectly sectioned, ready-to-twist hair:
- After prepping your hair as described above, gently detangle it section by section using PATTERN’s Wide Tooth Comb, designed to glide effortlessly through your hair while encouraging volume.
- Use the comb or your fingers to divide your hair into sections for twisting. If you’re looking to achieve chunky, larger twists, go for fewer sections. If you want to rock a defined two-strand twist, opt for more sections that are smaller in size.
- Don’t forget a styling gel or cream. Once you’ve decided on your ideal twist look & have sectioned accordingly, give your hair an extra boost of hydration with our Styling Cream. This oil-rich formula provides touchable hold & a dose of hair-loving nutrients that can help keep your style in place without weighing it down.
Step 3: Twist Your Hair
Now it’s time to twist! Luckily, getting the perfect two-strand twist natural hair look is easier than it seems—once your hair has been sectioned & you’ve applied styling cream, simply divide each section into two equal pieces & begin twisting them one over the other, until you reach the bottom.
Once your twist is complete, move onto the next section & repeat until your whole head is covered with perfectly twirled twists. Avoid manipulating or unraveling the twists until your hair is completely dry to preserve definition & prevent frizz.
Step 4: Set Your Twists
The best part about twists is how easy they are to maintain once you’ve styled them. You can rock this look for weeks before needing to switch it up or redo it with a few helpful tips & tricks:
- If you’re looking for a little extra hold, set your twists with PATTERN’s Strong Hold Gel. This flexible styling gel is infused with ingredients like Sea Moss, Aloe Vera & Chia Seeds for next-level fortification & lock.
- Refresh & reawaken your look while also nourishing your curls & protecting them from environmental stressors by spritzing our Hydrating Mist. Mist your twists every few days or whenever they’re feeling dry & parched to give them a little pick-me-up.
- Swap out rough cotton pillowcases for slippery, smooth silk ones that won’t tug at or rub against your hair.
Styling the Two-Strand Twist
Once you’ve mastered the two-strand twist, you can create a range of stunning hairstyles with it:
- Twist Outs– Once your twists have dried, unravel them carefully to reveal beautifully defined curls. Fluff & style as desired for a head-turning, flat twist out hairstyle.
- Bold & Beautiful– Combine your twisted hair strands with braids or hair extensions for a show-stopping look that adds length, volume, & limitless possibilities. Braids are praised as one of the best summer styles for curly hair, so why not elevate the hairstyle by combining it with twists. Experiment with Senegalese twists, Marley twists, or Havana twists to amplify your style game.
- Flat Twist Styling– Elevate your twisted style by incorporating flat twists into your hairstyle. Section off a small portion of hair at the front & twist it flat against the scalp, merging seamlessly into your two-strand twists. This adds dimension & visual interest to your overall look.
- Twist & Turn– Don't limit yourself to one direction—try alternating the twisting direction on different sections of hair for a more dynamic effect. Embrace the asymmetry & let your twists take on a life of their own.
- Accessorize– Enhance your two-strand twist style with hair clips, beads, or colorful bands for added flair.
Do The Two-Strand Twist With PATTERN
Two-strand twists are one of our all-time favorite styles for a reason. They’re easy to achieve, they always look incredible & they’re oh-so-good for your hair health—& at PATTERN, we’re all about hair health, nourishment & love.
That’s why our curly hair products & tools are designed to help you cherish & celebrate your natural curl pattern. Explore our collection of products today to get started.
Byrdie. Two Strand Twists Are One of the Easiest- and Healthiest- Protective Styles. https://www.byrdie.com/all-about-twists-or-two-strand-twists-hairstyles-400274
PopSugar. 12 Protective Styles For Your Hair That Will Save You Styling Time. https://www.popsugar.com/beauty/Protective-Style-Ideas-Natural-Hair-35906242