A rotation of go-to protective styles can make haircare that much easier. But, after a while, the same look can leave you feeling a bit uninspired. So, if you’ve been scrolling to find some hair inspiration, look no further. It’s time to switch up your rotation with butterfly locs.
You may have seen this trendy new protective hairstyle on other naturals and all over the internet. Compared to other types of braid styles, its signature butterfly-esque curly loops over shiny locs are impossible to miss but easy to install yourself from the comfort of your own home.
Want to know how to do butterfly locs? Become a butterfly loc expert with this complete guide.
Tip #1: Prepare Your Natural Hair Beforehand
Like with any protective hairstyle, the best way to prevent damage while wearing a butterfly locs hairstyle is to prepare your natural hair for installation. That means:
By following these steps, it’ll help to minimize breakage and knots during the takedown phase. When it comes time to unravel your butterfly locs hair, you’ll find your healthy, happy curls underneath.
Tip #2: Collect Your Materials
If you want to get your butterfly locs done professionally, you should expect to pay anywhere from $180 to $300, depending on your hair length and the style you want. That said, whether you are weighing the options of soft locs vs faux locs, this protective style is easy and simple enough to DIY from your home.
To execute this style yourself, start by gathering the following tools:
- 6 to 8 packs of wave water hair (or premade locs for the crochet method)
- Hair oil, like our Jojoba Scalp Oil or Argan Oil Serum, for additional moisture and slippage
- Styling or texturizing product, like our Styling Cream to give your hair a touchable hold
- A crochet needle (for the crochet hair method only)
Once you have all your tools and materials, you’re ready to start the installation process.
Tip #3: Install the Style
Depending on hair length and installation method, the process can take anywhere from a couple of hours to over six hours. Plus, if this is your first time styling butterfly locs, it may take a bit longer until you get the hang of it.
There are two main installation methods:
- The Braid and Wrap Method – For this method, start by section and braiding your hair. Wrap the water wave hair over the braids as you go. Start off wrapping it firmly and then loosely as you continue down each braid. Select a few strands at random to pull over your thumb, adding in the curly “butterfly” loops.
- The Crochet Method – With this method, you’ll need premade locs and a crochet needle. Cornrow your natural hair to begin. Use a crochet needle to crochet premade locs into your cornrows for a fluttery finish. If you’re comfortable with a crochet needle, this method tends to be a bit quicker.
To seal butterfly locs, you can create a small loop with your finger to create a knot at the end. You can also wrap the excess hair up and down the loc to secure it more tightly.
Tip #4: Maintain a Hair Care Routine
Even though your natural hair is fully covered, you still need to take care of your scalp. This is where having a solid hair care routine can help extend your style and keep your scalp clean.
Here are some ways you can maintain and care for your butterfly locs:
- Wear a bonnet or headscarf at night or sleep on a silk pillow.
- Continue to wash and shampoo your scalp every week.
- Keep your style in no longer than 4 to 6 weeks.
- Make sure your butterfly locs are fully and thoroughly dry after a wash.
- Use a product like PATTERN’s Scalp Serum to keep your scalp moisturized.
With your hair care routine done, have fun playing around with your look by styling your butterfly locs hair in new, elaborate updos and lengths.
Rock New Hairstyles Confidently with PATTERN
Your favorite protective hairstyles are your favorite for a reason. They require little to no extra maintenance and they’re easy enough for you to tackle on your own.
However, when you’re ready to try a new hairstyle, it can feel a little intimidating if you’re not sure exactly what to do or how. With the help of PATTERN, you can explore the versatile world of natural hairstyles with confidence.
Our blog is brimming with useful information to help you achieve a number of knockout styles. Plus, our curly hair products prioritize keeping your curls healthy and shiny—even in a protective style.
For hair care that helps you feel uniquely you, choose PATTERN.
- "How to prevent hair damage from a weave or extensions." American Academy of Dermatology. https://www.aad.org/public/diseases/hair-loss/insider/stop-damage/prevent-hair-damage-weave-extensions
- Ennestina. https://www.instagram.com/p/Caxdj3-raJj/?utm_medium=share_sheet